In recent years thousands of pounds have been spent on major repairs
and restoration, the roof having been infested with dry rot. Most
of the work and decoration of the main part of the Church has now
been completed, but work is still continuing to the external stonework,
lead work and the Collyweston slate roofs.
The Patronage was held by the Crown until purchased by Edward Watson;
his first appointment was that of William Bullin in 1558. The Patronage
still remains with the family, but since the parish was joined with
St James the Great, Gretton, the appointment of Rector is taken in
turns with the Bishop of Peterborough.
From 1998 the parish will also be joined with St Mary Magdalene,
Cottingham and St Peter, East Carlton, where upon the patronage will
be exercised in turns with Sir Geoffrey Palmer Bt and Brasenose College,
The Church is dedicated to St Leonard, a 6th century hermit, the
patron saint of prisoners and is usually depicted carrying a chain.
Despite his great popularity in the Middle Ages, nothing was heard
of him before the 11th century.
He was a Frankish nobleman of the court of King Clovis, and lived
in a cell at Noblac, near Limoges, later founding a monastery. His
cult spread in the 12th century to England, Italy and Germany and
many churches were dedicated to him. His feast day is 6 November.
At Rockingham he is represented in the west window of the north
aisle and is also the figure on the north side of the Altar Reredos. <BACK